November 22, 2017

Efficacy of beauveria bassiana at low temperatures

Home Forums Coffee Berry Borer Efficacy of beauveria bassiana at low temperatures

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Joachim 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Joachim

Depending on humidity and temperature, efficacy can be variable when spraying the fungus, I noticed. With our very (for Hawaii) cold nights (high 50s-low 60s on our farm), my first round of spraying showed much fewer results of dead beetles than the second round I applied a week ago when it was warm and very rainy.

The highest efficacy is around 77 degrees Fahrenheit, what is also the best storage temp. When it’s cold in the night, dry, sunny & hot at day, the fungus doesn’t have a high kill rate.

This article seems to confirm that: http://www.malariajournal.com/content/9/1/71

Andrew

Joachim,
    Do you know the date(s) and temps/weather from your first round of spraying? I feel as though my first round of spraying was also not very effective. My 1st round was Feb 25/26. It rained 1.2cm & 0.8cm on the 24/25, respectively, but then no rain again until 3/11. I would have to look back at temps since I don’t normally record that, though I do remember one of the days seemed pretty sunny and hot.
    As you mention, the 2nd round seems better (sprayed 3/25-27) but it was also a lot wetter. We had over 6″ of rain from 3/23-3/30. I have seen evidence of beetle kill by fungus.

Joachim

My first round was around the same days: End of Feb. I sprayed 1 acre per day of a total of 4 acres. I do not keep an exact rain or temp record, but checked the early morning degrees, because it was so darn cold. We have to consider that after a period of not spraying the initial spore count of the fungus in the field is starting off low to none.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.