February 26, 2017

Foliar Fertilizers approved to mix with Fungus

Home Forums Coffee Berry Borer Foliar Fertilizers approved to mix with Fungus

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Moeller 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hans Eckert

Aloha Suzanne,

This is indeed good news. I’ve been doing some of this since beginning to use Mycotrol (April 2012), and all of the extra stuff was always OMRI. However, I was always not quite sure if other substances could retard Mycotrol’s potency.
    I have looked through the “Approved Lists” provided but two substances must have escaped my attention. I did not see Kelp Meal (which I use for Potassium), as well as EM plus sugar (molasses). Are they, for any reason, excluded or did I just miss them?

Mahalo for your good work!
    Hans

Suzanne

Hi Hans,

I really don’t know. Bioworks (the fungus maker) has done a lot of testing. You might email them directly through their website. I would think both would be fine, but I’m not sure which carrier agents might be in the products.

Just a word on the microbio products like EM. Some farmers are mixing these with the fungus and letting them “stew” overnight in the belief that this will create a superfungus. I had an extensive conversation with Bioworks about this. I was hoping that it was true. They are emphatic that this is a bad practice. I was told that they have been answering this question for 20 years. Brewing up other microbials with the fungus risks introducing pathogens that can prey on the B. bassiana. At best, you are diluting the product, at worst, you are feeding the product to other fungi. So brew compost teas separately. Their words, not mine.

Note: predation is not a risk in the spray tank because of the short contact time. This only refers to brew tanks.

Robert Moeller
    Participant

Has anyone mixed BAM with Botanigard or checked if it damages the Botanigard?

Thanks Robert Moeller -Kaloko Blue Rock Coffee

Suzanne Shriner
    Participant

Hi Robert, BAM has not been compatibility checked by the makers of Botanigard. I have heard that some people are mixing the two and feel that the Botanigard works, however I haven’t seen any data on this.

I would recommend that if you are considering spraying the two together, do a little experiment. Divide your farm in half and do the 30 trees on each section. Spray half your farm with just Botanigard and the other half with the BAM/Botanigard mix. Do the 30 Trees again about 14 days after spraying. Look at the kill rate. This simple experiment should give you a rough indication if its stable.

Robert Moeller
    Participant

Okay thanks for the quick reply. Don’t check my home email so much after all the work ones.I think the BAM is good for trees and soil but not sure about bug kill with BAM. trying to cut down the work load some.
    Robert

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.